If I had $64,000 per kid to homeschool

Barbara Frank, in her post Public Schools: Where You Don't Get What You Pay For writes about the gap between what homeschoolers spend to educate their kids and what public school spends. Her point is that homeschoolers tend to get a better education even though we spend a small fraction on our kids education.

I spend a bit more than the high number she guessed at ($2000.00) per child a year... I probably spend $4000.00 each, but that pays for An arts program on Mondays, an academic program on thursdays, a constant barrage for science experiment supplies, Music lessons, Drama club, Sports activities, and other things I can't remember right now. Still her point is completely valid, because I can spend far less if I were to be more creative, but I also work from home and all the classes really help.

Anyway, I can't imagine having $64,000 to homeschool each kids. I guess I could send them to NASA camp. Have a experts in thier fields tutor them and take very expensive field trips. Oh it would be so much fun... so with so much money to spend, why aren't public school kids having more fun!



Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's poor management. I worked as a group mentor for six fifth grade girls. A lot of that money never made it to the students. Many of the teacher had to purchase their own supplies for the kids.
As I told a former co-worker they don't need more money to help educate the children the money needs to be managed a lot better.
I work out of the homeschool also and I'm homeschooling. My daughter is four so we don't have to many "expensive activities" but as she gets older she'll definitely be getting her involved in more programs.
we do participate in meetups and some do have a fee. It's a great chance to interact with other homeschooling families. She also participates in other activities.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...