When you can't teach it all yourself

As my son and I drove home from church yesterday (we had the rare opportunity to be alone) I got a chance to question him about what math direction he wanted to go in in math and science so I could map out his courses for the next two years. Based on his answers, it became abundantly clear to me that he has reached the end of my level of understanding and that I can't help him with the courses he needs to cover over the next two years. He is currently doing Algebra two in math. I went as far as Trignometry and then Finite Math in college, so I am currently stretching my self when he needs help. Next on his list is Pre-Calculus and Calculus so you can see that he is definitely going to need some math homework help in the form of tutoring.

In the science, physics is next on his list. This is another course I have not touched. My level of experience goes as far as AP Chemistry, much if what I promptly forgot the second I passed the class.

As homeschoolers, we are often confronted with people who ask us how we are going to tech subjects we don't know. They point to situations just like the one I am currently in and accuse us of handicapping our kids. They don't however complain about teachers who are teaching subjects they did not cover in school or parents who are helping them with homework. Fortunately, we all have access to websites that offer online homework help.

Tutorvista.com is one such website that helps students learn math and science subjects from Kindergarten through college. If you want to try them out before you buy, you can consider taking advantage of their free online homework help sessions.

Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Me at the Families.com Homeschool Blog

Visit My Education Column at Examiner.com

Great Deals on School & Homeschool Curriculum

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...