I am glad I homeschool because of aggressive discipline methods in school

I am watching a Dr. Phil show that is breaking my heart.  It is about excessive discipline of children in schools.

The show started with an absurd classroom arrest where a young woman was treated like a hardened criminal for writing a kind note on her desk with an erasable marker.  I thought that was bad.  But it got much worse.  Children are being sent home  with broken bones, and some are dying due to aggressive discipline measures.  The children who are most abused are the ones who are autistic and non verbal.

I try not to say this much, but things like this make me really glad that my kids are homeschooled.  Knowing that the most simple misunderstanding can spiral completely out of control is very unsettling to me as a parent.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visit My Education Column at Examiner.com

Check out FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE for free homeschool links and resources

3 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Not sure how balanced Dr. Phil is on ANYTHING at all. I used to like watching his show... but haven't for quite some time.

You may be interested in this link; it is vaguely relevant (about homeschool and the Dr. Phil show)

http://scuttle.localhs.com/2006/10/the-great-school-debate/

Ahermitt said...

I hear you... but that does not make the fact that it happened any less true... I always check multiple sources.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Oh, no, I wasn't doubting it happened as I had heard this story from other sources as well. I was more quipping that Dr. Phil likes to make it sound like EVERY public school teacher is wacko and EVERY homeschooling mom is just letting her kid play outside all day. :)

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...