We're not nerds because we homeschool....

Actually, it's the other way around.

So I have to confess that I just spent the last 3 days at Dragon*Con, "is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the universe!"

Thanks to my teenage daughter and her friends who turned us on to the fact that our fair city hosts this ginormous convention every year where you can dress up as your favorite sci-fi or cartoon character, and get involved up to your elbows in the culture of all things intelligent and nerdy.  Sure, there was a palpable level of downright geekiness involved, but that was awesome too.

Each member of my family had different interests and so convention fed us all.  For me, it was Star Trek  most specifically, The Next Generation and Sci-Fi Literature.  For my son, it was Gaming (video games).  My daughter, costuming (costume designing) and Manga (Japanese Cartoons).  For my husband, Original Star Trek, Star Wars, and getting photos of as many costumed persons as possible.

Because we didn't understand the enormity of it all, we were unprepared for all the activities available, and also how staying in a host hotel would exponentially multiply the fun quotient.  With that said, we are already making plans for next year.
(update this is what happens when you have too many blogs.  This was intended for my nfahm.blogspot.com blog.... but homeschoolers should be more aware of dragon-con anyway.... only I recommend it for teenagers and adults, and not really little kids.)


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like so much fun. My daughter is obsessed with manga/anime. She would have loved going to something like this.
Blessings
Diane

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Need PICTURES with a post like this because really, I neeeeed to see what you dressed up as. Need.

Ahermitt said...

Sorry Happy... didn't dress up. But there's always next year! I have ideas.

jugglingpaynes said...

I've heard others speak of how great Dragon Com is. We did the New York Comic for the first time last year, and my teens are begging me to do it again this October. These things are a bit overwhelming! We only did one day, but it sure was an incredibly packed day!

Picard was the best captain. My opinion, of course. :o)

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...