College is not the end goal of homeschooling

But it sure feels good when your kid gets accepted.

We will be touring a college this weekend to help make "the choice".  I feel like homeschooling has officially worked.  My son has acceptance letters and scholarship offers so that means we did a great job homeschooling... right?

Well, we did a good job academically, but getting into college does not mean we homeschooled well.

Homeschooling is about a lot more than education.  In my son's case, I was hoping to raise a well
educated, independent  human being who could think for himself and live a productive faith filled life. The fact that we educated him well enough that he could go to college is icing on the cake.

Time will tell if we hit all of our goals, but I do know the following:

9 years ago, my son was clearly withdrawn....  He's still quiet, but interacts well with others.
9 years ago, my son was clearly depressed... He appears to be pretty content.
9 years ago, my very smart son was giving up on education... now he is looking forward to college and is quite the autodidact.
9 years ago, my very gentle son was being bullied... now no one would ever consider trying to bully him.
9 years ago, my son began his relationship with Christ.... he is probably the most moral person in my household to date... very black and white, right and wrong kind of guy.

I think we did OK.

 FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE

3 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

WOW, congrats to you and your son!! :)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

HA! Keep writing this type of great stuff. Am interesting in website; this college writing good.

Ahermitt said...

I know... spam is funny. Now where's my delete button?

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...