There she goes...



My daughter flew to Colorado today.  It is the first time she has flown without one of her parents. I am positive this is the first of many, many adventures for her.  There is something about this child that tells me nothing is going to hold her back from what she wants to do.  She has a wild-and-free type spirit and will try anything once... and sometimes, she will try it again.

She will be gone for a week, and I miss her already.  I pray I don't get sick or anything because no one makes me feel better like her.  She is sooo nurturing.  I can already see what she is going to be like as a parent.


She is the reason I decided to homeschool. The teachers and administration were using words like

... ritalin
... IEP
... hyperactive
... bless-her-heart (I think that's Southern for Lord-have-mercy)

But that's not what I saw.

I saw
...drive
...tenacity
...and a bit of precociousness,

I knew that everything they were saying was wrong.

She just turned 16 and she finishes homeschooling this year and will be headed to college.  I just have a feeling that I will be watching her back as she walks away from me and on to adventure, a little more than I care to.


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

3 comments:

Karen said...

Excellent post!
I am so happy to see her avoid the medications and other treatments and, instead, get to homeschool with a mother who respects her personhood and who encourages her to be who she is.
Very lovely!
Karen

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Colorado! That's a ways away. Though with this heat wave and all the weather might not be all that different!

Usethebrains Godgiveyou said...

Not being born in the south, I appreciate the translation.

>>>bless-her-heart (I think that's Southern for Lord-have-mercy)

I have a blessed son, too!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...