Mid year update

It's December and in spite of my best efforts to keep the school year going through winter break, by daughter had gone on strike and so we are done for the first half of the year.  I can thank my son who is home for winter break helped her make that decision.

So this is where we are as of right now:

College boy.  I've taken to calling him great-big Neanderthal Man.  He has changed.  He seems to be creating distance between himself and his dad.  This makes his dad sad.  I think it's his way of expressing his manhood, but it is still hard for his dad. His relationship with me is fine.  I think he's nicer to me actually.  I can question him about school and such, but when dad chimes in, he shuts down.   Anyway, he did good enough to keep his scholarships.  I am glad with that for first semester.  His dad wants more...  Maybe that's the problem. ... Or maybe his dad should stop "touching him
up"
and hugging on him.  It's kinda hard to walk with a man hanging from you.  (He's a good deal bigger than his dad)

Pre-college girl. Since this school year started in July, the girl hit the halfway mark in her senior year at Thanksgiving.  She should finish the school year by the end of February, early march.... maybe.  Then she will be able to focus on her senior project for the fine arts program she is in.

She has received 4 college acceptance letters, meaning everyone she applied to said yes, even her "reach" college.  But she is struggling with college choice.  The most-likely college has already been sent a refundable deposit as that is required to compete for full scholarship, and we have been told that it is very likely that she would get it.  (It would be from the theater department).  The problem is that while she loves the school, she hates the surrounding city and it is 2 hours from home.  She hoped to be closer.  Her dad hoped she'd be closer.  I wouldn't be upset if she was closer.  The other colleges have also offered scholarships, making some more affordable than others, and the locations are way better... in or near the city, which she loves.  I don't really want her smack-dab in the middle of Atlanta though... at 17 years and one month old.

In addition to that, her school program has a big theater competition coming up,  and she is very involved in that.  Plus she has scholarship competitions at the colleges too. (Theater students have to perform and compete for additional scholarships).

So I am glad that we knocked a lot of the school year out of the way, because I don't know that much work is even going to happen in January.  It may be that we take six weeks off and finish all of her work just in time for graduation.



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Not much going on over my way either. I've been hit with the holiday bug. Way to go on acceptance letters from every univeristy applied. Just what are you going to do with yourself after the last one has left?

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...