If they only had the time... seeking alternate homeschooling ideas

There would be a whole lot more homeschoolers if more parents only had the time.  Based on the messages I receive regularly there are oodles of oodles of single parents who desperately want to homeschool their kids, but there's that little pesky problem called work that keeps getting in the way.

One of my very best friends has managed to homeschool her kids due to perfect timing of ages, and a moderate amount of flexibility in her job.  But most parents can't get together either the smallest amount luck and flexibility and family support to get it done.

That leaves parents asking the question, (the most recent email I've received) asking where to find certified teachers that would take on 4-5 kids.... because they want their kids to be part of that group.  The problem is that they are few and far apart.

Before we started homeschooling, my husband asked the same questions.  He knew we could not afford a private teacher, but felt that surely we could split the cost of a teacher or two among a couple families... but that never happened. I did it solo in the end, and I am happy with our journey.

However, like I said there are many parents who need help because they don't have the time to do the job themselves, or the support people in their family to help them.  At one point, I thought that this is what I wanted to do with my life after homeschooling, but I really don't think I am equipped to be the teacher... I could coordinate, but not teach.

I know there is an answer, but it would take a bit of coordination to figure it out... to find qualified and safe teachers... to provide oversight for safety.... to provide a place where parents could drop off kids while they are at work, and have them taught individually and corporately in as small a group as humanly possible... but in the end, we are doing school again, because once homeschooling leaves the home, it becomes a school again, and so many parents are stuck.

What to do... what to do?

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I think it would depend greatly on the age and ability of the children in question. I think the cost would vary greatly depending on the teacher/location. It's an interesting thought and I wonder if anyone who is doing this will get back to you.

Unknown said...

The hardest part is to decide if you are going jump into homeschooling and commit yourself to be a big part of your child's education. But once you see the advantages and benefits homeschooling brings, it'll be all worth the time and effort.

Anne
http://HomeschoolingOption.com/

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...