My first month in NYC

My cell phone camera is like a memory bank.  I don't use it so much to take photos of beautiful things I see... first, because I don't fancy myself a tourist.  Second, because everything is beautiful.  I can get caught up in the most fascinating textures of gritty places, and gleam of glass and steel buildings.  In NY, It's all art to me, but I digress.

<<Here's my most used photo.... a reminder of when the ferry to IKEA runs.

It can be kind of hard to ignore social issues when you are in NY. Right now everything around here is rainbow colors in celebration of the right for gay people to marry.  People are literally celebrating in the streets, since there is an actual parade going on not too far from my apartment, and this week I went to Broadway sings for Pride, which was an AMAZING show and since the main goal was preventing young people
from committing suicide, then heck.yes. I was there.

So, how do I reconcile being Christian with going to a Gay Pride fundraiser, and not being offended by the gay marriage legislation?  It comes down to a meme I put on my Facebook page today. >>

It's that simple, my only job is to love people. My neighbors.. all of them.  And already being from the school of "that is none of my business" outside of atrocities toward others, I have no problem not worrying about what people are doing with and to themselves, and loving them whole-heartedly.

Speaking of atrocities, my heart is very heavy due to the murders of the 9 black church members due to racial hate. I am glad I was in NY when it happened because in all honesty, I felt freer to speak about it. In GA, I know that people would prefer you quickly acknowledge, but not address because it is uncomfortable. There is a desire to call each of these horrible actions an enigma that won't happen again, but unless we address the issues, it will continue. It makes me want to force my kids back into the home and have none of us ever leave... but I am actually doing the opposite, because we only get one life and we can't afford to live it in fear.

And then there's the whole rebel flag thing.  I hope some of that furor dies down before I get back home. I want that thing gone forever... from government property.  They can call it heritage and a battle flag if they want to, but it seriously only belongs in a museum. But the fact is that it wasn't flown on government property until the federal government issued racial integration orders.  It was flown as a symbol of hate.  A message to say, we don't want black people here... and whenever I see it, my mind goes.. RETREAT... RETREAT.  They don't want me here... and I'm not going there (if it is private property).  BUT.  I don't have a problem with bumper stickers and ornamental flags in people's yards because it tell me clearly, that the people who are loving these flags are people that I need to avoid, for my own safety and well being.  This girl likes a good warning.

In other news, After failing subway 101 last month by trying to take it to Ikea and ending up in an UBER before finding out there was a free ferry, I can say I am conquering the subway.  So not only did I pass subway 101 the other day, by getting to my destination, but I passed Subway 102 today.  I got to my destination and home which included transferring trains and getting back home.  Phone apps really help!

I just look up where I am going and figure out the closest subway stops.  Then I plug it into the little app, and where I am, and it tells me where to get on, where to get off, and where to transfer.  Note:  Figure it out before you leave though and take a screen shot of the route because the app my not work under ground.  I do the same with my map app when I am walking, because these apps get very confused around tall building, so make your map, screen save and proceed.  Plus that is a huge battery saving. 

Finally, being in a small apartment with a modest amount of belongings is having an effect on me. I love it. It is making my want to go home and throw away half of the items in my closet.  I am going to do it too.  Get rid of half my belongings because I don't need them, and I don't use them. I am starting with my closet, but over time, I plan to go through the entire house and give myself the minimalistic uncluttered environment I deserve.  I am very excited, and I can't wait.  

I completed a video this week that talks about the process of finding an apartment.  I think my next video will be in my Atlanta closet.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKIEB7Pkic


Until next time... 


1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I'm right with you on the flag - people can fly it on their own bumper, but it doesn't need to be an official state flag.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...