You can't rely on the schools to do it for you.

You just can't!

My nephew was here 2 weeks ago. He is the same age as my son, 11. He is 3 grade levels behind my son. Why does this happen?... this is a classic example of falling through the class.

The schools take a child and insist he is special ed. He sits there for a few years, doing the minimum work. Finally they realize he has a head on his shoulders and mainstream him just in time to frustrate him completely, because he has missed 3 years of basic math and reading.

I worked with my nephew for the time he is here. We did online learning games , and worked in his math skills. I also listened to him read and I know his few problems in that area could be fixed with some basic remedial reading programs, but alas it only had 2 weeks and in the end he has to go back home to parents who (I hate saying this) don't have the confidence to stand up for their kid and ask questions.

I am hoping that his family will take the extra 1 hour a day and spend it on elementary learning games, so he can get up to speed.

If you feel like your child is being left behind, don't take it sitting down. Question the teachers and principal, and at the end of the school day, take extra time to teach them. Use elementatry teaching tools like homeschoolers use, or better yet, just homeschool.

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...