The Bigger Picture Speaks Volumes

This is a photo of the entry into the US Department of Education building in Washington DC.

If you search the internet for photos of the building you will find that this is the only image on the official US Dept. of Education Websites.

While this entry facade was originally installed to protect employees and visitors during a dangerous construction period in 2002, the little school houses have been left up to promote the No Child Left Behind Program and to remind workers that they "serve the ideal of the little red schoolhouse." (quote)


Sounds nice, doesn't it?
This is what the building really looks like. Instead of the ideal of the little red schoolhouse, what I see is schools being crushed under the weight of a restrictive and overpowering bureaucracy.

Sometimes you just have to look at the big picture.

(the structures were supposed to be removed in 2007, but I cannot find any evidence that it has happened.)


This post was inpired by Michael Umphrey.

update: the pics were not taken by me, they are from wikimedia commons and available for free use.

Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Free Home Ed. Homeschool For Free!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures speak a thousand words! I had no idea they were putting up such a front.

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Nothing like a facade to try and make people miss the reality.

Excellent shots!

Ahermitt said...

Thanks for the comments guides.. the pics were not taken by me, they are from wikimedia commons and available for free use.

Timothy Power said...

Perhaps I shouldn't have laughed at the second picture, but I did. I couldn't help myself. The irony was just too thick to not be funny. It has all the gross exaggeration of an editorial cartoon, except that it's real.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...