If I could start over again... I may have unschooled

I had a convesation today with another mom whose kid was a little stressed due to all of the activities (read socialization), plus academic homeschooling.  The child is in a play along with one of mine, and I suggested that they take a break of teaching until the play was over... the thought of this stressed the mom out, but she did see how taking a short break would cause more peace.

This is why we homeschool isn't it?  We want to provude more opportunities for our kids as well as allow them to learn at their own pace. 

In our desire to do it all, and do it all right, we tend to get a little carried away.  There is a time to work and a time to play and a time for enrichment.  We don't need to do them all at the same time.

What does this have to do with unschooling?  Unschoolers seem to handle letting education follow the rhythm of life than us Academically focussed homeschoolers.  They don't worry about checking off everything from a list to make sure the child is balanced in academics and socialization all all that jazz... still somehow it happens. 

I think we can all learn alot from unschoolers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visit My Education Column at Examiner.com

Check out FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE for free homeschool links and resources

2 comments:

Farrah said...

I totally agree with you! I recently had an epiphany like this. I am currently in a homeschool co-op, and the workload is heavier than I want, leaving me stressing over academics. I had to sit back and realize that this type of life is what I was trying to avoid. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

I agree, but it seems most moms have to learn this the hard way. Although we are not an unschooling family, every time I read the writings of John Holt I become very inspired. Maybe somewhere in the middle is a good place to be.
Great blog!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...