I am not ashamed to say: I'm Glad We Don't Have a Daily School Commute

I have seen it written on many a message board that homeschoolers are lazy and one of the reasons they homeschool is so they don't have to get up in the morning to get the kids on the school bus or drive to school...  While that is crazy, as EVERYTHING we do is so much harder than just getting up in the morning, I am not ashamed to say that I am glad I don't have to take them to school every morning.

If you follow my blog, you know that we homeschool on Mondays, and Wednesday through Friday.  On Tuesdays,
the children spend anywhere from 9 to 12 hours at a fine arts "school" for homeschoolers.  (Courses they take, or have taken in the past include drama, chorus, visual arts, dance, writing, literature, etc.)  So tuesday morning is our dreaded commute. 

This morning in particular was harrowing.  I set my alarm for 6:30, and drag myself and my daughter out of my bed (she somehow winds up there when hubby is traveling).  I slink downstairs and make 3 cups of tea, and put my daughters pizza in the oven (son take hot pockets with him) and proceed to clean the kitchen (that my daughter was supposed to cleam last night while I was working.  I realize my kids' clothes for the day is still in the dryer, so I turn it on to get the wrinkles out, and get the dishwasher loaded and attempt to make a yogurt berry smoothie, but can't get the blender to close, before I realize that it is 7:15 and we should already be in the car!....  

I start yelling.  Son, can you finish the smoothie, Daughter, get out the mirror and put your clothes on (she is on her fourth hairstyle for by now).  Guys, I am jumping in the shower and we are leaving!  Get your stuff in the car.  10 minutes later I am back downstairs and Son is still trying to get the top on the blender... his lunch is not packed, and Daughter is till primping.  (((( Head Spins))))  Miraculously, they are in the car in a matter of minutes and I throw the blender in the fridge... will figure it out later.  (I never drank my tea.) At this point we have 25 minutes to make a 40 minute commute.  I break every traffic law known to man and am sure I turn the corner on 2 wheels a couple of times. 

We get there in 32 minutes and Daughter is 7 minutes late for her first chorus reheasal.  As we approach the building, I try to explain to her the importance of apologizing for being late, which by the way, I know she won't do unless she is singled out for tardyness.  I yell, grab your stuff, girl!  Tuck and roll!... hoping this will get her out of the car and into rehearsal quickly.  It doesn't.  She saunters off without a care in the world. 

As Son grabs his things and lumbers toward the builing, his first class doesn't begin for almost 1/2 hour, I get to ask a few annoying questions and breathe.  Then it's off to the local Starbucks overlooking the lake, where I sit right now writing this blog post.  (Staying in the area to have breakfast with a friend who has to do the morning commute daily with a preschooler, elementary school kid, and a couple of highschoolers.)

I am glad we don't have to do this daily! 
BTW, does anyone know a lazy person who would spend their morning like this?


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor

1 comment:

J.L. BOSTICK said...

I admit I am glad we don't have those mornings either but for different reasons. I think of the precious sleep my girls lose having to get up an hour early to be at the bus stop. I don't think you should have to "wake" a child. Children wake up early enough on their own that if you have to wake them up chances are they didn't sleep enough. I think forcing kids to get up too early is one of the things that creates a "not morning person" personality. My girls wake up refreshed about 7am and they are always happy and cheery. If I wake them up they are a nightmare..lol

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...