Ready for Calculus, Part 2

I can't believe I spent the night fretting over this.  I was up from 1 till 4 doing research on whether or not he really needs to take calculus. 

I asked the question to one of my homeschooling groups and heard back from the wife of a school counselor... he suggested pre-calculus. (even though he took trig?)... I guess Pre-calculus will be easy for him. 


I went to the sites of the colleges on his list and for his major, also found that one suggests taking at least Geometry, and the other Algebra 2.  Well that's covered. 

So I thought, and I thought, and I tossed and I tossed. 

He's only 16 years old and doesn't want to take calculus.  Maturity can have alot to do with the success of higher maths.  So I think I am going to wait a year and let him do math review this year.  After all, he's already met all math requirements to graduate AND get into the programs he wants for college. 

This year, I think his math will consist of review of what he has already done... in particular, he can study for standardized testing: 

1.  study for PSAT math till Oct 13
2.  Study for ACT math Till December
3. Study of SAT math 1&2 till about February
4.  Study for the College Algebra or College Math CLEP (Passing this will give him credit for College Math adding to his list of completed math courses). 

Next year (his senior year) we will revisit the Precalc-Calc Question...  He was also planning to take Physics that year, and working on a senior project. (We are trying to keep his load light for his senior year.)


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...