Deadlines are so important for homeschoolers

As a homeschooler, it is important to set deadlines for projects.  I admit this is my weakness.  I tell them I want something done by a certain time and I feel like they pat me on my head and say "ok, mama".. then they don't do it. 

This is one of the reasons I have had them take outside classes over the years, to have someone else put a fire under their butts and make them get assignments done.  This is imperative for anyone who plans to go out into the workforce. 

There are other ways to set deadlines that kids won't ignore.  Something my son just completed, barely under the wire, was a scholarship competition for SCAD.  He had to create a video to submit to the competion.  There was planning, setting location, working with the actress, filming, and editing.  He got it done on time, but barely.  But that's OK.  Win or not, he has the sense of accomplishment of meeting a deadline (without taking any shortcuts either).



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE MY BUSINESS WEBSITE WalletPop Contributor

2 comments:

Catherine said...

So true! My daughter seems to take her online writing class papers much more seriously than those she writes for me. Nonetheless, I have had to become more firm with due dates. When she complains, I tell her to get used to it, because it's preparation for life.

Queen of Carrots said...

I agree, as someone who was homeschooled myself and saw this both in myself and my peers. However, I did learn to adapt once I started working. But I'd like to make sure my kids have SOME exposure to it a little earlier in life. Contests and public projects (putting on a play, starting a newsletter, etc.) as well as everyday things like planning a party are a great way to deal with these in a natural way--it IS hard to be that serious about arbitrary deadlines mom just made up.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...