Homeschool Blogging A to Z: H is for Highschool

As my kids got closer and closer to high school age, their homeschool friends started disappearing.  Where I only had to drive five or 10 minutes to do things with other homeschoolers, we now drive 40 minutes regularly, especially if we want a large crowd of homeschoolers.

The reason is that homeschoolers drop off (enroll in public and private school) as they reach high school age.
Why?  Fear... or at least I think it is fear.

I mean, teaching a child to read is challenging, but 99% of parents can and do teach their kids to read, or at least help.  Multiplication is tricky, but we seem to get through it.  But Trig?  Ugh.  I barely passed Trig myself, how in the world can I teach my kid?  And so with these fears in mind, and re-assurance that the child is old enough to know right from wrong (we hope), the child goes off to school.

I am not criticizing anyone who feels the need for this or any other reason to enroll their child in school.  I just want to say that if you feel like you still want to homeschool, then don't be afraid.  You can do it.  Yes it will be hard.  It may even be costly at times (for tutors and group classes), but if you put your mind to it, you can homeschool through high school.

FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

1 comment:

Henry Cate said...

As our children grew older we started subcontracting out some of the education. We use a distance learning school for history and english. And our oldest daughter has started going to the local junior college.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...