People don't want teachers

 People don't want teachers... they want babysitters.

My husband and I were just having a conversation about SKYPE.  He was telling me about someone he knows who got an online certificate to marry people and now he is not only marrying people, but he is doing it without ever leaving his home!... He just fires up his iPad, and he marries them virtually!

I know Skype is awesome I say, while the virtual officiant thing is stupid (IMOP). Too bad that would never work for homeschool teachers, is the next thing I realize.  Too many parents want to be able to leave and go take a break when their children are taking classes and tutoring.  They don't just want to person to impart knowledge to their kids... they want them to take full charge of them...to babysit them as well.

I think this is why homeschool co-ops aren't working in my area.  We had a great co-op once, but none of the parents wanted to teach or supervise.  Now, instead we are all paying private school prices for our kids to be in a homeschool-school one or two days a week, and taking a spa day for ourselves.

I can't condemn it is a horrible thing if I am doing it myself...  but it is an interesting realization.

FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

1 comment:

Scoobyloves2004 said...

Thats funny, my husband and I had a similar conversation a year ago. Public school, in my opinion, is nothing more than a babysitting service. In our area, the classrooms are overcrowded and bullies seem to "rule the school. " I honestly think parents put there children in these schools out of sheer laziness and well, because its the law to education your children. I understand that some parents much work 12 hours to provide for their families, but come on, don't use that as an excuse to allow some overpaid babysitter that cares little if your child passes or fails to educate your children. Isn't that our full time job as parents..... Just my opinion... Lol.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...