Georgia Virtual School Drama


Every other Friday night when assignments are due, I find myself cyber stalking my kids accounts to make sure their courses are entered.  If they are late, they will lose 10 points a day.

Daughter forgot one test completely, so I sent her to do it.  When she was done, the score had not calculated, when it finally did she had a low grade.  Fortunately, it was just one of several quizzes this week.  My problem is that we could not access the site for a couple of hours today, so I don't know if the site was still having problems, or if she did not know the material.  I have been on the internet for enough years to know how software glitches work.
(I made a note in her notebook about the site being down, just so that when final grades are issued, I can compare my notes to her grades to see if there is a pattern.  If there is, I will adjust accordingly.)

Speaking of the site being down for a couple of hours, my son announced that all of his work was complete.  So why is he downstairs right now just a few hours from deadline entering again?  I have no idea.  He was able to prove to me that he did the work.  Could it be because of access problems with the site earlier today?

Don't know that I can blame it on Ga Virtual School though since our internet provider SUCKS!  Take that Charter.  We went for two days last week without access.... that didn't help get any school work done. However, I could get to other sites today, just not the online classes.



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Whoaa... they could seriously mess up some kid's entire life if they put the wrong grades in and/or said the work wasn't turned in. Wow, turns out you need to stalk the virtual school more than the kids. :)

Ahermitt said...

I have decided that I'm not going to worry too much about it, just have them do their best. I could use the grades they assign as it would be eaiser, but I could also just issue a test myself at the end of the course and assign their grade according to that. For example, if Jordan takes and Passes the Spanish CLEP exam, that would definately justify applying extra credit for Spanish on her homeschool transcript.

If they were in the Georgia Cyber Academy, it would be different because that is public school. Their grade is their grade. This is more of a tutoring program with no transcripts involved, just a grade issued at the end of the course.

I think letting her know she has to take a CLEP exam if she does not get a good grade will motivate her to be more careful as well. That would mean "SUMMER HOME-SCHOOL".

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...