Would ANYTHING make you put your kids back in public school?

 For me the short answer to that question is no, but I know many former homeschoolers whose kids are now happily in school.

Happy Elf mom asks, if the school system was trying to sell you on returning to public schools like ( the Custer School District in South Dakota), what would your answer be.

Based on the reasons we all homeschool, I know our answers would be vastly different.  Because we homeschool based on personal experiences in school, our list would look something like this:

1. You know my son is gifted... stop holding him back. (Because he had regular migraines, they made excuses to keep him out of gifted classes).
2. I'm not giving my daughter Ritalin, so get over it. (By the way she will be graduating homeschool at 16, so being a little hyperactive has served her well.)
3. Make the kid behind my son stop smacking him in the head. (The teacher never saw him get smacked, but always saw him turn around and say something to the child who had smacked him.)
4. Don't lose my kid on the school bus again.  (It took a lot of Grace to not kill the teacher who blamed my kid for missing the bus home.)
5. Stop saying stupid things to me based on racial assumptions. My kids' father lives with us.  (You don't even want to know.)

Put aside the fact that public school was a nightmare for my kids that I would not wish on anyone, I have in my mind an idea for an ideal school that if it existed, my kids would have attended... maybe.

1. Kids need to be able to work independently using computer based programs so they can progress at their own speed... especially for math.
2.  School should be more relaxed, more like a study center than a jail.
3. Kids (with parent's permission) should be able to come and go as they please... the hours spent in school should matter much less than progress through curriculum.

This will never exist, and so once again, my kids don't belong in public school.




FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

YEAH I want to know. Particularly, I want to know how your husband handles these crackpots. I'd agree with your ideals except for the fact that some kids do require special help like Woodjie, or are dangerous to themselves if they are just let out. It would be great if kids like this were taken on field trips to the grocery store and whatnot as part of their education; it is VERY hard to teach children like Woodjie about cars and checkouts and the idea that we do not own everything in the store, etc. :)

Ahermitt said...

@happy elf mom. When we moved here, and my kids were in public school, it was clear to us that the teachers had had little experience with people of color... and it showed. They had misconceptions that were clearly born of ignorance and lack of contact. We were once given a donation because people thought we could not afford a certain item that the rest of the class had. Ba-ha-ha! My husband probably had the highest income of 90% of the parents at that time. "Bless their hearts."

Anyway, my husband is the sweetest man in the whole wide world. I am not kidding. It pains him, but he doesn't get indignant. He just made a point to wear his wedding ring and flash his hand around plus make his presence known. When they would say something stupid, he would just look them in the eye and say "really?". He is so opposite of me!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...