If I'm paying for college, should I mind my business?

I spent the last few hours walking my son through the student loan process.  It kind of burns me up that we have to fill out financial aid papers when we know he isn't getting anything... and will need to take out loans anyway.  Hopefully, because he's not too keen on the idea of loans, he will put a fire under his butt to get some outside scholarships, and then can cancel the loan amounts.

On top of the loans, we will have quite a bit to pay out of pocket too, for which we don't want to take loans.  Yes, we are looking forward to some lean years.  

Anyway, here's something else I don't understand.  Folks (experts and such) say that we should not helicopter the kids through this process.  However, if he fails to cross his t's and dot his i's... it's on me.  More money out of pocket, and at the very worst, him sitting and looking at me next year because he did not take the necessary steps.

As far as I can see, I plan to stay fully engaged in all things financial until money ceases to come out of my pocket.  Am I wrong.

FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

You are SO WRONG!

(Ok, not really. It's a scary process. At least the prom dress fiasco things you were describing in your recent post will live on only in memories and bad photographs later, yk?)

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...