Homeschooling certification?

 If homeschool accreditation isn't a sticky wicket, then homeschool certification is a problem.  In fact, I see it as a slap across the face of homeschooling moms everywhere. 

I had noticed in the last couple of years that online homeschool classes to train moms how to homeschool were cropping up, but I ignored them.  I figured they would make more homeschooling moms secure enough to homeschool, so while It made my stomach churn a bit, I ignored it.  Today, however, after seeing this site offering homeschooling certification so mom would be "certified homeschool professionals", I nearly threw up.

Now I am a little confused as to what they are offering, so I must give the benefit of the doubt.  On one hand the site says, "ExpertRating Online Homeschool Teaching Course leading to Homeschooling Certification ExpertRating Online Homeschooling Course leading to Homeschooling Certification offers a unique opportunity to get yourself certified as a Homeschooling professional from one of the leaders in online skill testing and certification. Homeschooling Certification holders earn much more than their non-certified counterparts." So, this gives the impression that this class if for people who want to teach other people's children.  I'm Ok with that. When you are not teaching your kid yourself, you want to make sure you have someone who has put effort into learning the ins and outs  of the process.

On the other hand, the site also appears to be geared towards homeschooling moms.  This is where I find the insult. The site says, "Learn how to take your children out of school and make their transition to homeschooling both fun and effective."  That's all well and good, but to package it up in a certification program is downright insulting.  It is especially insulting to mom and dads who have been homeschooling for the past 4 decades without this certification, paving the way so my generation can now homeschool out own. 


We don't need certification any more than homeschoolers in the last few decades did.  All of this nonsense about certification for homeschool teachers is only going to hurt us in the longrun as Education Departments latch onto it, therefore making it difficult to homeschool without "training".

FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE

3 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Just nuts! But yet, I can easily see where people are going to swoop in and make a fast buck!

educator said...

Fast buck is right. As homeschooling grows, it will attract more such commercialization.

Unknown said...

That's crazy! I had never heard of such a thing at all! I keep up with a lot of folks on my homeschool blog if anyone would like to check it out. Occasionally I will post my "extras" books on there too! Stop by and hit "like" Trying to get to 100 by the end of the week!!
https://www.facebook.com/OneHomeschoolMom

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...