I homeschooled because I am impatient

I can give you a laundry list of reasons that I homeschooled.


  • My daughter was being labeled as unteachable, and hyperactive. 
  • My daughter began having night terrors and accidents. 
  • My son had become sullen and withdrawn and while previous schools called him gifted, the one he was in did not. 
  • My son was being bullied. 
  • There were oodles and oodles of issues over just a few short years that were clearly affecting my children. 
  • They were in the first and third grade.  
  • No one so young should be having a hard time in school. 


With all of these things going on, I was counseled by other mothers


  • to meet with teachers, principals and therapists
  • I was told to advocate for my kids. 
  • I was instructed to argue to and fight to get what my kids needed

But in the end, I knew I didn't have the patience.

  • I also knew that at the end of the battle, my kids would be labeled AND there would be a compromise. My kids would be given enough "help" to shut me up and no more. 
  • I was not about to lose the hearts of my little kids.  
  • I could not wait.  
  • I had to act.  

I decided to homeschool.

In the years that followed, the same people who had counseled me before gave me advice.

  • She needed a spanking, not homeschooling
  • He was going to be a recluse if I didn't put him back in school
  • They were both too smart to not have a proper education.


But I knew I had done the right thing.

The biggest criticism still gets under my skin to this day.  They would say, "It is unfair for you to use your talents and education to stay home and teach your own kids.  You could be volunteering in the schools helping teachers, and advocating for the needs of all the kids... not just your own.

I could never put into words what I was thinking when this was said.  Fortunately, my face is extremely expressive and words were not necessary.  What I did say, is that I don't have the time or patience to wait for schools to get better for my kids.  The little change I could affect would not be enough improve my kids life the degree they needed it improved.  Someone had to look out for JUST THEM.  Seeing as I gave birth to them, that person would be me.

I always added that when we were done homeschooling, I would go back and see what I could do to affect education.

I still mean that.


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...