Hats Off to Any Homeschooler with More Than One Kid

How do you do it with multiple kids... I have two, and until last year I was able to keep it simple. Children go to the same programs and activities. They study alot of the same things, we do everything together.

But now my kids are 11 and 13. The both take fencing so that's good. They are in separate drama clubs and have different class schedules (we homeschool via a 2 day a week program). I spend alot of my time either driving back and forth or sitting in my car waiting. I try to use the time wisely and run errands while I am waiting, but how many times can a woman go to the dry cleaners or supermarket in a week?

Here's a typical Monday: Get up at 7, get them to practice piano, and walk the dogs. Feed them breakfast and pack lunches. Drop off one child at 9:00. Since the other kid is not supposed to start classes until 10:00 we go to the Library, and then I drop her off at 10. I get some writing and blogging work done and get back to the school at 4:30 to pick up my kids (after chorus)... but sometimes my son stays until 6pm if they are are working on Tech aspects of drama club. Thursday's are similar except both kids start at the same time, but end three hours apart. The trip from my house to the building where classes are held is about 4 miles, and can take anywhere from 12-30 mintutes depending on traffic.. sometimes I pick up a child, bring them home, process a load of laundry, jump back in the car, and pick the other child up. I think that is the most annoying part. Add to this youth group one night a week, fencing club two or three times a week and the fact that one child needs to be at fencing when the other child is just getting out of drama club. Oh, and both kids have to to still get their work assignments done in the meanwhile.

I feel like I am going to lose my mind, and I only have 2 kids. How do you do this with 6, or 7?.



Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me? Why Andrea I read your blog for inspiration! Oh yeah. . .and I completely lost my mind a few years ago. . .shortly after the twins were born!

Ahermitt said...

Thanks Val, I hope I didn't let anyone down by saying that I am losing it.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, thanks for stopping by my blog! I have 4 kids, but 2 are preschool age, and the other two are homeschool age (6 & 8). The older two do a lot of studies together - pretty much everything but math & reading/spelling. I do everything at home, and I don't even do a homeschool coop. I think the trick is limiting outside activities. I know, not what your kids would want to hear! We have just two outside activities and I have to keep things very simple or I would definitely lose my mind! Good luck with juggling it all!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...