NFAHM: The Lost Files

The Lost Files (INTRODUCTORY POST)

Prologue : I wrote this poem halfway through the first year of homeschooling. It is specifically about my daughter who was the main reason we started homeschooling when we did. I thought it made a great prologue.


They Said She Couldn’t Learn

They said she couldn't learn; wouldn't learn.
Perhaps she shouldn't learn.
Let’s medicate out of concern,
so she can't disturb the others.
There’s something wrong inside her brain.
Others are just the same.
We must label them all in the name
of education for all - except her.


I did not listen for she is mine.
Though she tires me, I will take the time.
She tests my patience,
but it is not a crime to be so energetic.
Now I sit beside this child.
She is unruly, and often wild.
But on her face, there is a smile
that melts a mother’s heart.


I now know I've made a choice,
to let a little girl keep her voice.
Someday a nation will rejoice
instead of just her mother.
She will grow up free to be herself,
her inhibitions upon a shelf.
With no one to blame,
except oneself and me, if she falls short.


Responsibility I will gladly take,
as the other options, I did forsake.
In her education, I did partake,
for she is mine alone.
The system could not have known
what hides inside of her.
Now look how she has grown.

Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Free Home Ed. Homeschool For Free!

2 comments:

Chili said...

Thanks for posting this--it's great!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute and a great reminder when things get tough. Thank you for taking the time. Your love does make a difference in the life of your daughter and it encourages me.

Peace to you,
Renae
Life Nurturing Education

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...