Preparing for my son's Junior and Senior Year

AHHHHHHHH! I just sat down with my son to talk about his classes for the next two years.... his last 2 years homeschooling.

I feel faint. 

Anyway, we have decided that he would spend the next two years tackling physics and calculus. And of course there would be more grammar, literature, history, and Spanish.

Tentatively, the next two years will look like this.



*This summer: 
~"Trigonometry in 20 minutes a Day" as a prerequisite for Calculus.  (Trig is the only thing from a pre-calc book that he did not understand)
~Computer Science CLEP Exam

Next year, Grade ll:
~*Calculus 1part and part 2 (Hippocampus)
~Non majors biology (hippocampus)
~US History 2 (Hippocampus) (He will attempt the US History 2 CLEP next summer for college credit)
~Spanish 2 (Rosetta Stone) (he will attempt the Spanish CLEP next summer)
~English/Grammar:  I am designing a literature/wiritng course... he hasn't read as much as I would have liked the last 2 years, so I have picked 7 books to read and write about. (Because he passed the Analyzing Lit Clep, he has already reached his requirements for this subject)


(The good news Is I won't be spending much money this year as Hippocampus is free and we own Rosetta Stone
His electives will include Film Photography, Graphic Design, , History of Film, Chorus, Christian Worldview, and Piano (ArtiosAcademies, a local homeschool program)  This is where the bulk of my homeschooling money will go.  Free homeschool sites have made paying for this program possible.

His FINAL (SENIOR) YEAR:

~*Physics part 1 &2 and CLEP Exam
~US Government (if he wants another history at that point)
~Classes at Artios Academies will include more music and film related classes and a SENIOR project!

(note*  with the Hippocampus program, the Calculus 1 and 2 and physics 1 and 2 is the same as precalc and calc, and intro to physics and physics.)

My daughter and I are still mulling over the next 3 years for her.  I will sit down and compile that information soon.  (If I don't put these things in writing, I fear I may forget something)


READ: Home School, High School, & Beyond: A Time Management, Career Exploration, Organizational & Study Skills Course

*This post has been updated... after getting a better understanding of calculus and physics and prerequisites, we thought it might make better sense to do a year of calculus, then a year of physics.  It also cuts his classes next year from 5 to 4.... I added back another science (biology) after going on a couple of college tours. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visit My Education Column at Examiner.com Check out FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE for free homeschool links and resources






1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yowzer! That's a lot of work, Mom! In the home stretch! :)

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...