Final Curriculum Tweak!

OK, I think I've finally gotten it right!
 

One of the reasons we start homeschooling in August is so that by September 1, we have made all of our adjustments and are on track to complete our curriculum by late spring.

So far, I have adjusted the kids literature courses, Adjusted my son's Spanish, and this morning, I adjusted the Biology.

The literature courses (Skills or Literary Analysis and American Literature: Encouraging Thoughtful...
Christians to be World Changers by Stobaugh) are far too religious.  I know I'm Christian, but come on!  Can the kids get to reading literature already?  It was more like 60% Religion course 40% writing and lit.  As the kids are already taking a world view course at Artios, we are only using the 40% that is writing and lit.  We are ignoring the part about the daily prayer journal, and similar things like essays comparing the lit to modern world view.... I am only having them do 1 essay a week, as the curriculum suggests several.  It's not that I am against a religious based course, but sometimes you just want to get to the curriculum.  Plus we don't have the 2 hours a day that it would take just to do Literature.

For Spanish, I eliminated to workbook... we never could find the right one to go with my son's verson of Rosetta stone... he is doing just fine with the Rosetta Stone alone.

For Biology, we are switching from Non majors biology to AP biology.  The AP program at hippocampus.com is ... animated when the non-majors is just slides you have to read.  My voice is not going to hold up... we need the animations and narration, plus it also has virtual labs inserted into the right place and I don't have to figure it out.

Finally, we are not going to do the Biology labs at the local science and history center.  The class filled up before we could get it, and honestly I didn't like the attitude of the lady who thought we should take a special math class first because we were homeschoolers and would not be able to do labs without it.... never mind the fact that the kids are taking algebra 2 and Calculus right now. 


Full curriculum listed here

FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I love that homeschooling lets us adjust things to our own particular kid's education. My 12 year old son has dyslexia and just started to read well when he was 10-11. I'm sure he would hate school if he went to the public school. Instead, we work on things at his pace and he doesn't get nearly as frustrated (or told that he's "dumb"). Hope the rest of your year goes well.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...