Early start, early finish, more time for play

Some mornings my daughter wakes up at 6am, brings her laptop to my bedroom, and does all her schoolwork by 10 am. She just finished and it is 9:52. This means we have time for the Library, games, and quiet reading.

Yay!

My son fortunately, does this most days. He is an early riser and does not come out of his room until 9 or 10 when he is done with his required work. Of course, by then the dogs are in agony if my husband or I have not walked them.

He spends the rest of his day writing html and teaching himself internet website tricks.

At 4pm, when the TV and video games are allowed to come on, I generally do not hear another peep from them.


On early days like this, we can also get alot of errands done, and I am thinking about doing the local homeschool skate day... If we were not getting ready for Jordan’s Pageant next week, it would be a no-brainer! We would soooo be there!


Of course there are late days too, and I have to allow for them. They are usually followed by a late night doing something special, or an especially tiring day before. We also have late days when it rains. Last month, during a late day marathon (we had late days for a few weeks straight) I decided to watch and see if they were not better off doing the work in the evening. The answer to that question was only sometimes. Three out of 5 days, they found reasons at the end of the day to not do the work at all. Therefore, we are back to early morning homeschooling or homeschooling immediately after waking. If they feel like they might be productive on a particular evening, then they are welcome to get a head start on the next day’s work.

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...