Homeschoolers ripped apart on TV

Mainstream media cannot be trusted to portray homeschoolers in a good light. Three times this week, while watching TV, I felt a vein popping in my head as TV shows did their best to make homeschoolers out to be complete goof balls.

The first was Jesus Camp which I only watched for a few minutes which made it look like parents only talked about religion and Christian View Science. I never saw a math lesson, a grammar lesson etc. Are you telling me these things never happened.

The second was mom swap where the girls where being taught from feminist point of view and any "girly" behavior was a problem.

The final show was Nanny 911 (or something like that), where two teenage girls were using a charter public school (not homeschooling, but public school at home) and being left alone all day to do their work while watching 3 toddlers... this means they got no work done.

Aren't there any well adjusted homeschooling families willing to go on TV? I take that back... what well adjusted person would want their lives ripped up by some overzealous editor.


Never mind.

update: here is a link to follow the SuperNanny story.
Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Free Home Ed. Homeschool For Free!

3 comments:

Gerkin Pickle said...

I watched Wife Swap last night. Granted not wanting the kids to be girlie was a bit out there but they were relatively normal. Their kids studied, had decent morals, were well behaved. That other family was WAY OUT THERE....I felt very sorry for thier daughter. This show was mild compared to the family they had last year who ate raw meat and schooled their children in the verse of farm work only. I was actually going to do a post about this myself today because I thought it was milder than in the past. I guess the thing I hate aobut it the most is putting a homeschooling family on TV who is a bit "radical" (I guess we are all eadical...LOL) just doesn't give our community a good image. But good images aren't what sell.

As far as the well adjusted homeschoolers going on tv I have to agree with you. I certainly wouldn't want my life scrutinized and ripped apart by the boys who want the ratings.

Gerky
http:wickedpickles.weebly.com

Bren said...

I can see it now... My kids hardly ever dress in anything but very weird dress-up outfits. Come to think of it we do Math, Language Arts and all the usual subjects but when, how and where would sure look odd to the rest of the world. Nope I don't want to be on TV.

Ahermitt said...

What I failed to mention in my post is that not only do we homeschool, but my daughter does pageants. Of course we are not as "sparkle and shine" as the kid on parent swap, so I got a double gut punch last night.

Since we do both, does that make us well adjusted?

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...