On being black and homeschooling.
If you didn't know my race previously, you do now. I am black. (african american, brown, non-white... whatever) There has been a great stir in the news lately because the number of black homeschooling has suddenly increased. As a black person, homeschooling is not a decision to be made lightly. "for the black community, teaching at home was frowned on because of the civil rights battle to get into public schools in the first place. Mike Smith with the Home School Legal Defense Association says the times are changing." But just as those first pioneers forced thier way into public schools to get quality educations for thier children , many people like myself are now fleeing. Why so late in the game? Easy... we didn't feel welcome, at first. Here's my personal story: I first looked into homeschooling when I lived in New Orleans. I called the local homeschool association and had a very pleasant conversation in length. Finally, I was invited to come to a homesc...
Comments
Ann - Homeschooling in Indiana