What Does an Elementary School Homeschooler Really Need to Know

I had this conversation with a new homeschooler earlier today. I promised to send a recap. I will also add that if any seasoned homeschoolers has a list of what an elementary age homeschooler needs to know, please leave a comment.

So in my estimation, by the time a child enters middle school, they need the following
knowlege:

Math: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Fractions, Decimals, Percentages, and how to convert fractions, to decimals, to percentages, and back.

Reading and Comprehension: The should be able to read and comprehend on an 8th grade level.

Why these two items? In order to do pre-algebra, these math basics should come easy to your child. In fact, they should be able to compute a lot of it in their heads. Sure, your child should also be familiar with Roman Numerals, place value and basic geometry (shapes, types of angles), but some of these things will be learned in the course of the other items and the rest can easily be learned later.

As for Reading and comprehension, if your child can read, they can learn anything.

Yes, I skipped science and social studies. I am not saying these subjects are unimportant... I am only saying they are not going anywhere. Plus everything taught in these subjects in the lower grades are repeated in upper grades. Elementary school homeschoolers can cover all of the science and social studies they need by reading picture books, keeping a science journal and history time line, and visiting museums and science centers.

It doesn't hurt to start foreign language training in younger grades it doesn't hurt, but be sure to pick a language the kids are really interested in.

Oh, and PE doesn't need to be anything formal... have them join a team or group sport activity. 


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if I am teaching the right things. He is only in Kindergarten but still I worry because I want to set a good foundation.

WendyLou said...

Wow! This is EXACTLY the same advice that I give! As a former middle, high school, and jr. college math teacher, your math advice is spot on!! And you are so right - if you can READ and comprehend, you can learn any.thing.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...