Bullying, A rite of passage?

The people who used to complain that homeschoolers were not socialized enough are now insisting that homeschoolers are missing out on the important rite of passage of bullying.  I feel like it is mostly bullies not people who have been bullied that are spouting this nonsense.

Our current presidential administration, thankfully, disagrees.

The Obama administration is launching a campaign to prevent anti-gay bullying and other
harassment at school, advising educators that federal law protects students from many forms of discrimination...  "We've got to dispel this myth that bullying is just a normal rite of passage," Obama said in a video posted last week on the White House Web site. 
In the video, the president admits to being bullied at a young adult to the point that he considered taking his own life.  


This is personal to me. When I was a young adult, I faced the jokes and taunting that too many of our youth face today, and I considered suicide as a way out.  But I was fortunate.  One of my co-workers recognized that I was hurting, and I soon confided in her.  She cared enough to push me to seek help.  She saved my life.  I will always be grateful for her compassion and support – the same compassion and support that so many kids need today. 

That blows me away.

Here's the video





FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...