I think they may be on to something- 75 students, 7 teachers

I have been blogging about this for ages or at least something close to it.  In my special little world (in my head) school classes would be workshops with numerous teachers per classroom.

My reasons are: 

1. More one on one help for students who need it
2. Fewer opportunities for inappropriate teacher-student behavior
3. Less chances of teachers being charged unfairly of abuse
4. Behavior issues can be better handled.

 This model is being used at Thomas Middle School in Houston Texas. 

Under Milon's design, each class has 75 students on average and between five and nine teachers. One teacher generally takes the lead — as the professor of sorts - while the others chime in on the lesson or assist students who need help or are off task.... Co-teaching or team teaching isn't new in education, but Milon has put his own spin on it, putting so many certified teachers - not teaching assistants - in one class.

There's still room for improvement though.  I don't think that 75 students need to be going at the same speed in a math class.  Sure, having 7 teachers, gives those who need it enough help to keep up with students who learn faster, but where is the acceleration for the truly advanced kids.  In the perfect school (in my mind), for math anyway, each student would be working on an online program in a computer lab with the 7 teachers going from person to person offering help. 

Alas, that perfect little school is only in my mind.  That's why we homeschool.





FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE MY BUSINESS WEBSITE WalletPop Contributor

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Experienced teachers are so expensive, though. I should think two teachers for 75 children, added with several aides and/or volunteers would do as nicely. :)

Mary Ann Johnson said...

Teachers are great. I have so many in my family, really caring teachers. But you are right, even with fabulous teachers perfect is so elusiveapsylit. Thats why I home schooled also.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...