Integrity in Homeschooling in Light of the CRCT Scandal

Fear and pressure are being blamed as the cause of the humongous CRCT cheating scandal in GA. Watching the results of the probe unfold has me asking and reviewing my own fears and pressures regarding homeschooling.  For instance, it is time for college applications for my first born.  The college applications and acceptances are essentially the litmus tests as to whether or not his homeschool years were in fact, successful.

I have seen the pressure of ending homeschooling strong bend the most die-hard relaxed homeschooler into behaving like a drill sargent to make sure that student crams in everything they are suddenly afraid that they may have missed.  Then there is the opportunity to grade the child on an invisible curve in order to make them presentable to colleges.

We as homeschoolers must be extra diligent to not let the pressures of competing with public education (who are clearly cheating) take away our integrity to the process we have previously set forth as well as the integrity of our own hearts.




FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

4 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Ahh, I don't see it that way. Every child is different and not all can go to college. I have several disabled children and some are homeschooled, some not.

I think the people "out there" are going to stereotype and look for faults no matter what. Even when there are problems with public schools counting dropouts as homeschoolers, homeschoolers were the ones disparged... for the ps falsifiying records.

I think knowing you can't "win" and just having integrity before God is all you can do. Not to preach but that's just how I feel... that others may or may NOT ever recognize what was done homeschooling-wise. It's all about some lady's cousin who watches tv all day in the comment section of some news stories, yk??

Ahermitt said...

Can't argue with you on the overall experience Happy. This is just my reality where there are dozen's of people waiting around to see the outcome of my homeschooling experiment. As my kids are college bound, the acceptance (and scholarship letters) are the litmus tests.

Usethebrains Godgiveyou said...

Hey, HEY...that is really sad. I remember kids nearly having their heads bit off for cheating in school. It is beyond my reasoning to think that teachers had parties in order to do so. UNREAL.

That being said, NCLB is more like No Child's Behind Left. So much pressure, and the ones who pay the most are the kids!!

I played the game for 2 years, very kosher, school at home. Last year, I just gave up.

Andrea, I know a woman who homeschools whose child went on to MIT. She didn't bother with standards or subjects at all. She just made sure the kids had a "resume" or portfolio packed full of action, awards, etc., and she said most useful was his volunteering. Make sure you document all that and put it in.

My son is such a mix of disabilities and gifts, we are going to start small at a Tech college, and if he is able, build up from there. Clayton will be our next step, and on to Georgia Tech if it works out. Georgia Tech accepts Clayton States engineering classes.

Good luck.

Ahermitt said...

Yep, (brains) after a 2 year STANDARDS BASED FREAK OUT I am realizing that it is the students passions that matter. No matter what you teach, that is what is going to come through.

My kids and I just came from GA Gwinnett where he hopes to dual enroll in the fall to get that foot in the door before FULL ON college. That, plus his art portfolio will surely get him into the art college of his choice next year.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...