We didn't do half of this stuff in public shcool

I have heard homeschooling described as a lazy mom's education. She can sleep late. She doesn't have to deal with carpool. She just tosses a stack of books in the kids general direction. HA!

I have 3 calendars (for 2 kids) taped to the side of a bookshelf. One calendar each is for work done at home.  The third calendar is for their electives day. As I sit here gazing at it, and think back... wayyyy to the 1980's when I finished high school, I know we didn't do half this stuff.

I think we had 6 classes a day from what I remember. I also remember that I didn't have time for many electives. I took art for 4 years and a couple of law classes. Back when foreign language was a choice, I did not take any, as I wasn't willing to sacrifice art to learn Spanish.

Now my daughter is working on two foreign languages this year, PLUS is in a play, has drama club, art, and chorus. This is on top of her usual academics. This is because her time is well utilized in homeschooling. We save hours every day on driving to and from school, getting dressed up, waiting on lines, navigating from class to class, and waiting for classmates to settle down. In these hours saved, my kids are able to put back many wonderfully enriching classes, clubs, and activities that we missed out on.

Makes me wish I were homeschooled.


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

3 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yes! And I know you're not talking of your children's private lives on the blog, but I will *imagine* that much of the boy/girl drama is not there, either!! :)

Ahermitt said...

@happy elf mom Not a lot of teenage angst going on around here.

Cathy said...

"I have heard homeschooling described as a lazy mom's education. She can sleep late. She doesn't have to deal with carpool. She just tosses a stack of books in the kids general direction."

Just had to say, HA! Not in this homeschool.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...