What are you going to do when the kids are gone?

With my son graduating this year and my daughter graduating next, the end of my years as a homeschool mom are fast approaching.

But people keep asking me "What are you going to do when the kids are gone?".... in a response, I do a little dance.

Aren't you sad, they say... NO I reply.


But your kids are leaving they say...  I reply with a big grin.

It's not like I am glad that my kids are leaving me soon and it's not like I am glad homeschooling is almost over.  It's just that I am just so darned proud of them and excited for them.

I also don't want to steal their thunder.

You see, my mom (God rest her soul), had trouble letting go.  She raised 9 kids, 4 of whom she gave birth to and every time it was time for someone to fly the nest she became, angry, bitter, and argumentative.  She made leaving home difficult and stressful.  I am not going there.  I am going to set my kids free when they are ready and be here if they need me, both with a cheerful attitude.

I am also going to rely on sage advice and prepare to chart a course for myself, (which I believe is in helping drop-outs get into college through homeschooling... just haven't figured out how to proceed yet.)



So while on the inside, I kinda feel like that lady in the Verizon cell phone commercial, I am also celebrating their accomplishments and will continue to be their biggest fan and cheerleader, where ever that may take them.


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Whoa, you'd think with nine kids she'd be like, woot! SPACE in my house! That's where I am with my oldest two anyway. :)

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...