Algebra 2 for Dummies for Homeschool

 Of all of the Algebra 2 curriculum options available!  My son started the year with an Algebra 2 workbook and Khan Academy for Algebra 2.  

After a month or two, he came to me and asked for Algebra 2 for Dummies.  "For Dummies!?"  I asked.... "For Dummies" he replied.  I purchased the set... a textbook and a workbook.

He completed it today and we went over his work together.  Here is how he used it.

First, he read the chapter.  Then if he wasn't clear on it, he Googled the concept and looked at videos and sites like AAAmath.com.  Then he printed a free worsheet on the topic.  Finally, when he felt comfortable, he used the workbook for his chapter tests.

His reasoning for his approach is that Algebra 2 for Dummies should be used as a review for someone who has already taken the class, or for extra help for someone taking the class.  Not as a first exposure. Still, that and the internet was all he needed

He scored a 91% for the year... starting off in the high 80's and then got better as he progressed.  He tackled this subject with NO help from me... I even offered to hire a tutor many times when he announced he was stuck.  He politely declined and soldiered on.  I think he is as proud of his accomplishment as I am of him.

Now on to Trig!

He is taking it as a quick summer course using online videos and this book:




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Visit My Education Column at Examiner.com Check out FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE for free homeschool links and resources

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...