Homeschool blogging A to Z Intro: Arts

I decided to join the April Blogging from A to Z challenge (very late in the game) as a way to rejuvenate my  blogging dedication.  In view of changes to the internet and content writing in the past two months, I have decided to dedicated myself more fully to homeschooling and blogging about it.  That was always my path
anyway, but the lure of making more money caused me to branch out into writing for the sake of writing.  Now, I see that I need to do more writing for the sake of homeschooling.

With that Said, here is my first A to Z blog post

A is for the Arts:

The arts has been the center of our homeschool journey from the start of our second year of homeschooling.  I took the first year to observe my kids, figure out their giftings strengths and weaknesses, as well as my own.  By Spring of the first year, I knew I needed a few things:

1.  Help with history instruction... as it bored all of us senseless.
2.  As an artist, I wanted more arts instruction, but I felt ill-equipped to teach it because it was a talent that came naturally to me, and I couldn't figure out how to teach it.  Plus I wanted more than just visual arts. '

So beginning with year two, we went from me drawing and coloring with the kids, and driving them to piano lessons to enrolling them in a Homeschool Arts Program.  They have gone one day of the week for Arts instruction all of these years, and some years, they have also participated in the Optional academic classes too. The kids will be in the 11th and 12th grade next year, and Artios Academies has been THE constant in their lives.

They learned history through Art, music, and acting. They maintained a group or community of friends for their entire homeschool journey, and I got a reprieve from teaching history, only supplementing with historical novels.  As they grew older, they were both able to find their niche in the arts in which to concentrate their time, and bot will be going to college for arts related studies.  My son for Internet and Media Arts, and my daughter for Drama and Costuming.

Sometimes  I wonder if their Arts heavy homeschool education effected or altered their pre-destined bent or course in life.  I know my husband pictured a computer scientist or engineering for my son, and politics for my daughter.  But if that is what they were meant to do, then I feel like it will happen regardless.  An arts education will not change their course, but probably make them more creative thinkers in whatever industry, job, or vocation they end up in as adults.

FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor Brighthub Contributor

1 comment:

Arlee Bird said...

It's funny that when I was in school history seemed so completely boring and now it's one of my major interests in reading, movies, and television. I think the problem was the way it was always presented in school. I never made the connection when I would be watching historical movies since those were entertaining and not so much concerned with dates and boring facts. History is a "story" and is so darn interesting that I don't know how it becomes so boring and unappealing when approached as a school subject.

Glad to have you in the A to Z Challenge. Here is my message for the latecomers:

If you didn't make it in time to sign up on the A to Z Linky List before it closed, you can still join in on the fun of blogging from A to Z. Post your daily entries for each letter. Then make sure you go through the list to visit others who are doing the Challenge and leave a comment. In your comment let them know you are participating in the A to Z Challenge and invite them to visit your blog as well. If you become a follower of the blogs you visit and leave comments many of them will do the same for you.

It will help greatly if you end each comment with a signature that includes a link to your blog. There is some more information on how to do this at This Is Important.

You don't have to be on the list to join in. Just post daily and be sure to network with other bloggers.

Have fun!



Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...