Homeschool Blogging A-Z: R is for Roles

 I have been very, very ill since Wednesday.  I suspected I was getting sick during the day as my body thermostat went haywire and my teeth kept chattering.  But around 10pm, I got hit with a fever that knocked me off my feet, followed by several days of stomach distress.  During my week of inability, and with my husband out of town, my daughter (soon to be 15) quickly stepped into the caretaker role needed to get us through the week.  The only outside help I had to call on was for grocery deliveries in a desperate attempt to ease my symptoms.

She not only assisted me, and kept my fever from getting to high, but she also checked on her brother was was also suffering, though to a lesser degree.  She made meals.  She sat nearby.  She was attentive, and I was well cared for.

Is this something I trained her for as a girl who is homeschooled.  No. Not directly.  But I believe that her numerous opportunities to watch me and other family members in action helped her step into the role she was needed for this week.  I also suspect that she has a strong maternal nature... the line between mother and daughter was very blurred this week.

I don't raise or homeschool my daughter any differently than my son, with the exception that we focus on each child's individual gifts and talents.  It was interesting however to see how my daughter will operate in a  caregiver role as an adult.

Makes me wonder if roles is something that we can teach, or something that we model, or just something ingrained in us. 



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...