Can you homeschool my kid?

 I can't tell you how many times I have been asked that question.

Then answer is NO.

I will however, help you to homeschool your kid.  Here are my reasons.

1.  It's called HOMEschooling for a reason.....  your home, not mine. Once you send your child to someone else's home for instruction, it ceases to be homeschooling and becomes a small private school.  This is LAW in many states.  Now that may be fine for someone seeking to find a qualified homeschooler to work with their child, but if that person is still homeschooling their own children, as I am, it changes the dynamic in the home and can take away (and in some cases add to) the education of my own child. This is the main reason I say NO.

2.  Homeschooling is more about family relationship than academics.  I spent my first year of homeschooling strictly relationship building with my kids (after taking them out of public school).  Once I felt our relationship was re-claimed, I was then able to teach, and mold, and challenge them academically.  This is hard to do with someone else's child.  I am not exactly easy on my kids, and without the close parental relationship, I don't know that I would get the same results, in fact, they would very likely feel frustrated. No one knows a child like their own parent.  No one can push a child in the same way as their own parent, and no one knows when to pull back and give a breather like their own parent.  This is why I feel homeschooling should be done strictly by parents.

3.  If you can't control your own kid, what makes you think I can?  In most of the circumstances where I am asked to homeschool someone else's kid, the parent is at their wits end. They don't know what to do with the kid, and they are hoping that I can create a miracle.  I''m just not that good.  As the parent, you need to regroup, maybe see a family counselor, and get on proper footing with your child before you can start homeschooling them, or asking for someone else's help.

With all that said, I will now tell you that I WILL assist people in the homeschooling of their child. I will TUTOR them in subject where I am capable.  I will refer them to tutors in subjects where I am not strong.  I will also act as a parental guide and guidance counselor for the child.  In my past experiences of working with homeschooling families, I have been most successful where supported the child 30% and the parent 70% allowing the parent child teacher-relationship to remain in tact.

So while I won't homeschool your kid, if you need help or guidance, I am here to help.



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yep. Tutoring and homeschooling, very different. I like the idea of co-ops, too, so long as it doesn't overshadow HOMEschooling. :)

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...