Dont Call My House (an unrelated rant)

I realize this sounds anti-social, but I don't like getting calls to my home phone.  There are several reasons:

1. Telemarketers.  If I am working, homeschooling, or just relaxing, and the phone rings, and I pry myself out of the chair to answer the phone, I don't want to answer a survey, deal with salespeople, give a donation, or hear elections propaganda.  You are more likely to get a positive response from me if you sent an
old-fashioned letter.

2. Business Calls that won't leave messages.  Most businesses calling my house are not calling for me.  That's fine. Most of the bills are in my husbands name.  But if you are a business calling my home, you can at least leave a message.  Don't you know how rude it is to call someone's house, ask for a person and not leave a message... and no, a phone number is not good enough.  Who are you?  Who are you calling for?  Is this urgent?  If you wonder why people don't follow up, it is because you don't leave proper messages.  I don't care what your business procedures are... it's still RUDE.  ... and if you are rude, you get Angry Andrea... Deal with it.


3.  People I just don't want to speak to.  I know, horrible, right?  Here's the thing, if you are someone I am remotely interested in speaking to, you have my cell phone number. If you don't have my cell phone number, you have my email address, and can ask for my cell phone number.  Besides that, I barely know you and/or don't care to deal with you for whatever reason.  Plus, I'm just not a big talker.  As my voicemail says, "we are not available to answer the phone right now, but if this is an important message, you can reach us at our respective cell phones."  No, that is not followed by the cell phone numbers.  If you don't have the cell phone numbers, leave a message.  We might listen to it.... later.  Much later.

So yes, I tend to be anti-social, especially when it comes to the telephone, but in all my years, I have never received a message on my home-phone that had any real relevance to my life.  I should probably just shut it off, and keep my cell.


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Drives me nuts! Plus I have children in about a million different schools and caregivers and therapists etc. so I always have to answer the phone just in case it is important. Which it is usually NOT. :/

Usethebrains Godgiveyou said...

I used to just hate answering the phone at dinner time just to be asked to change my phone plan. AT&T was the worst. They just try to wear you down!

We have been "land line" free for a year. Couldn't see having one just to call 911 @ $40 a month. I'll take my chances...

I don't think it's unsocial. I think the world is really changing!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...