If you don't homeschool your kids, you don't love them

I came across a Huffington Post blog where the writer/parent listed the reasons she would never homeschool her children.

I found it mildly disturbing that each and every one of her reasons started with I.  I-I-I-I-I.  I need time away from them.  I am afraid of math.  I don't like refereeing my kids when they fight. I like dropping them off at school.  But here's the deal.  It's how she feels.  It is her truth. She is being honest.  I sense an inability to see things from her kids side, but considering her reasons for not homeschooling, her kids
definitely belong in public school.

However, just as I disagree with her reasons for not homeschooling (for me and mine), I also disagree with the peanut gallery... the homeschoolers-in-arms.  Many have gone as far as to say that this woman does not love her kids. Chances are she does love her kids- a lot!  She just isn't the homeschooling type and cannot envision herself our shoes.

But even for myself it took a jarring, traumatic, life-changing realization to make me see the value in homeschooling.  I don't love my kids more now than I did then, do I?  I understand them better, but I don't love them any more or less.

I remember back when I started homeschooling, I went to a co-op meeting where women took turns telling the audience that unless GOD told them to homeschool, they should not do it.  Maybe GOD hasn't dubbed her as a homeschooler.

So let's stop being so judgmental, OK?

FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

4 comments:

Marlis said...

I agree with you. Judgemental crap like this is what no one needs. I know tons of great homeschool moms and we all homeschool for different reasons, or started for different reasons. I also know amazing, loving dedicated parents whose kids go to regular schools. It has never occurred to me to label anyone based on the choices they make for their kids education. Oddly enough, like you probably do as well, I know several moms who wished they'd homeschool but are afraid to give it a try for a variety of reasons.

Usethebrains Godgiveyou said...

My son is special. School was a giant pain in the...rear for him and I would have given anything to have been able to send him to a special school at a cost of $17,000 a year started by a mom who had been a public school teacher for 25 years. She realized for many different reasons, some kids don't do well in school, having nothing to do with their intelligence.

I was like that mom you spoke of. I had lots of reasons why I couldn't do it, but when my kid was looking at failing out in grade 8...My husband (not God) suggested I should homeschool. It was a good choice for all of us. Like the mother who started the school for learning disabled kids, I had my degree in special ed. Only, I only had one student. But I knew enough to know a lot of kids with learning differences are sent up the river at public schools. They don't fit the factory model.

I forget, was there a question? Just got all blabbery with my choice. And it is a choice I would have hated to have been without. I've no doubt my son would have been part of the 25% who drop out. As it is, he is going to Tech school after doing real well on his GED.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

When I see adamantly pro-public schoolers out there, I try to remember just how ignorant they are to think that "whatever school their children are districted to attend" is therefore the best school.

I can't say GOD called EVERY mom to homeschool ALL of her children (I don't), but I think the huffiness homeschoolers sometimes have results from dopey people being ignorant about homeschooling.

PS. I love to talk curriculum, though. I have rarely to never seen "fights" on it. You must be "blessed." :)

Ahermitt said...

I don't think (or didn't notice) him calling me either, but when I started, that was the script that was being passed around.... It was soooo discouraging!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...