Homeschooling chores I will no longer have to do

I just got an email about paying for registration for next year's homeschool program.  I stared at it for a minute, wondering when I should pay and then realized.... I'm done with that.  No more homeschool classes.  Wow.

Other things that I won't be doing anymore... with my kids anyway:


  • Late night curriculum preparations, so kid can start homeschooling at a decent time the next morning. 
  • Driving an hour for a 1 hour class or rehearsal, then driving back home. 
  • Hanging out in coffee shops to kill time while my kids are in classes.
  • Deciding between a traditional science class, or letting the child explore science from cooking or nature.  
  • Trying to find reading material focussed on a child's personality.
  • Spending a week matching a history and literature curriculum up chapter for chapter, so they are studying the same topics in both subjects. 
  • Answering an asked question, only to be dismissed before I am done talking because the kid now "gets it".
  • No more carpool (which I am sure sounds strange for a homeschooler).  But if kids who live in the same general area have to go to the same place on the other side of the county, why not carpool?
  • No more drama club costuming or set building.  In college, parents are no longer needed for this chore... students and teachers do it themselves. 
  • No more drama club parent duties.  I don't have to sell ads, I don't have to sell tickets.  I don't have to sell concessions.  I will send out an email to let folks know when daughter is in a play, and will go see said play. 
  • I won't be spending this summer belly-aching over next year's curriculum choices. 
  • I won't have to even talk about homeschooling to strangers who ask the simple question: "Where do your kids go to school. 
Sigh, I may miss some of it, but other items, I will be glad to put in my past. 




FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

5 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yeah, what will you do with all that time??

Here I have a preschooler and a kid in college but then I couldn't imagine having all six at once!!

Ahermitt said...

Haven't figured out how I will spend my time, still trying to sort that out.

Yes... 2 in college is not going to be fun financially, but when it is done, it is done.

Dani Byham said...

Wow! What an accomplishment! I just got excited when Bella made her own lunch for school today :-)

Ahermitt said...

Enjoy each milestone Dani... I'd swear it was all a blur.

Karen said...

Oh, A, you know you will miss it!

I'm looking forward to finding out what comes next for you...

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...