How far will you go to save money?

My current life's journey/adventure includes setting up a second home (an apartment) in NYC, which I will spend as much time as possible at, and which hubby will work from.  Being a very thrifty person, I am struggling with a lot of the costs of NYC.  Which brings me to the question, how far will you go to save money? 


When I first quit my working full time, while pregnant with my son (who is about to turn 21), I did some reading of a very popular series of books called the Cheapskate Gazette.  There were lots of tips and ideas for stretching money so a family could survive on one salary and even prosper.  Some of the ideas were great.  Buying in bulk, freezing meals, couponing, etc.  But some of the ideas were off the wall... for my sensibilities anyway.   I drew the line at the menstruation cup.  Thanks, but no thanks.  I stuck to sanitary napkins and tampons.  


Likewise, being here in NYC, my first impulse is to do things more thriftily to save money. For
example, I took the bus from Atlanta to NYC... and may take it back... I've calmed down from seeing the one bug.  But I tell you, the people were so careless about being clean. (My OCD is far worse than I realized).  So, I have shopped in a half dozen grocery stores since arriving in the area, and yesterday,  a friend put me on the subway and took me to trader Joes.  The prices were great, but...  dragging my little canvas cart through the subways and then up 4 flights of stairs back to the street.... That may have been more than I could handle.  I will probably split NYC grocery shopping between the Fulton Street Market (it is actually a KeyFood) and Whole Foods... both of which I can walk to in 15 minutes.

I will save the three markets closest to me for emergencies, as they are just overpriced... I don't care if it is all organic, if I can't afford to buy enough food, it is useless. (OK, I actually can afford it, but I am physically unable to pay twice the price for something I could get in Atlanta for a reasonable price.)

Of course there are still things I will do to save money such as never buy designer clothes and purses, because for a thrifty girl like me, that is pretentious and ridiculous. I will continue to do my own hair. I will fill the freezer with precooked meals with the hope that hubby will eat that before heading to the expensive salad bar down the street.  

What about you?  What are you thrifty about and where would you rather splurge?  Just curious?

Meanwhile, I am almost done furnishing the apartment, then I need to decorate it.  I am having a dilemma about what would typically be the dining area.  That seems redundant to me with a breakfast bar and a coffee table that converts to a dining table.  Here's a video.  I need some ideas. 

1 comment:

C T said...

A couple of ideas for that space:
1) Computer desk combined with bookshelves
2) Cabinets to increase food storage capacity (buying some things in bulk when on sale can help with the grocery bill :) )
3) Photo wall with exercise equipment underneath
Good luck!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...