Black parents getting arrested for homechooling in NY

For the second time in a week, I came across a story of a single black mother being arrested for homeschooling. Both had withdrawn children according to the laws of the state, both have been harassed and arrested and children put in foster care because the school alerted social services and told them things like:

They moved too many times
Too many absences (they were withdrawn)
Speaking out against schools

All that time I thought the HSLDA was full of crap (I still think that) with all of their "they will come and get your kids" stuff in order to get our money and then use it to fund Republicans.... will they now support these black homeschoolers who are getting targeted as more and more black people begin to homeschool, or do they want to keep homeschooling pure and keep black families out?

Home-Schooling Leads to Neglect Arrest, Leaders Want Children Returned to Mother


There's another one in lower NY but It is not in the news, I found out about it through her Facebook Live.

Here's another story that I know less about:
NYC targets homeschoolers

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

YES, they support black homeschoolers. My personal issue with HSLDA is that sometimes they are not conservative ENOUGH or using their resources only on homeschooling issues. They had a huge to-do about gay marriage... which I AGREE with their premise and so on, but that's not why I pay my dues... and they did little to nothing about Common Core until it was too late.

I had actually heard of Ms. Harris's situation via an HSLDA alert. I do believe they are representing her and other similar cases. They also promote sub-groups (local or special interest) of interest to homeschoolers including this one:

https://www.hslda.org/orgs/?OrgID=5076449

PS The huge red disclaimer is attached to all groups, so I don't think it is a matter of distancing from them.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...