Recent Articles I wrote for families.com


Reasons I am Glad We Homeschool: Gateway Tests

by Andrea Hermitt

It was just announced in Georgia, where I live, that 40% of 8th graders have failed the CRCT math test that allows them to move on to high school. (This number varies based on the reports and could be as high as 60% failure rate.

Homeschool Resource Review: Spelling City

by Andrea Hermitt

I spent the morning preparing my daughters spelling lessons for the summer. She is working on spelling this summer because I do not want her using poor spelling as an excuse any longer. She likes to do a half-hearted approach to her spelling and say, "I'm just a poor speller".

Middle School Homeschool Basics: Math
by Andrea Hermitt

Middle school math, i.e. 6th 7th and 8th grade math are generally the same math concepts repeated at a slightly greater difficulty each year. It basically prepares students for algebra. If middle school students do, very well with middle school math they can start Algebra in 8th grade.

Homeschooling for Free, Part two
by Andrea Hermitt

If you are looking for ways to homeschool your kids for free (or with minimal financial output), there are many online resources you can use. Some time ago, Valorie Delp gave a great list of free websites you can use for homeschooling in her post Homeschooling for free.

Problems with Alaska Charter Homeschools
by Andrea Hermitt

Is Alaska homeschoolers' free ride coming to an end? Homeschooler in Alaska have had an easy ride. Because of the Geography of the state and the difficult commutes of Alaskan children, homeschooling has made good sense to both parents and school districts.

14 May 2008 12:34 PM
Middle School Homeschool Basics: Social Studies
by Andrea Hermitt

World book has a list of topics that your students should learn from grade school through high school. For middle school years, I strongly disagree the way in which the topics are arranged for each of the sixth, seventh, and eighth grade social studies.

Comparing Homeschool Abuse to General Childhood Abuse

by Andrea Hermitt

"HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) ― A Harford County child starves to death, leaving a senator to wonder if the state should be checking in on the welfare of children who are schooled at home." I see a headline similar to this about 4 times a year.

Socialization of Homeschoolers in the Upper Grades
by Andrea Hermitt

I have been observing as my homeschooled kids enter and exit the middle school years, that the socialization that public school advocates say our kids so sorely need actually cannot be avoided.

Interview with a Graduating Unschooler: Andi Enns Part 1

by Andrea Hermitt

I was contacted recently by a young lady who had created a guide to unschooling for teens. I found her personal story quite interesting and new I had to interview here. Here is part 1 of that interview.



Interview with a Graduating Unschooler: Andi Enns Part 2

by Andrea Hermitt

I was contacted recently by a young lady who had created a guide to unschooling for teens. I found her personal story quite interesting and new I had to interview here. Part 1 of this interview addressed her early homeschool years and her switch from homeschooling to unschooling.

Interview with a Graduating Unschooler: Andi Enns Part 3
by Andrea Hermitt

I was contacted recently by a young lady who had created a guide to unschooling for teens. I found her personal story quite interesting and new I had to interview here. Part 1 of this interview addressed her early homeschool years and her switch from homeschooling to unschooling.
Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Me at the Families.com Homeschool Blog

No comments:

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...